WHAT IS A PERSONAL BRAND?
A core concept in the development of the Project Management for Today Community is the intentional focus on providing support and tools for the development of each Contributing Author’s “Personal Brand”. This is a unique concept for this Community, and one that we will continue to provide the tools and resources to our user community to build.
What is a “Personal Brand”?
Personal branding is the practice of people marketing themselves and their careers as brands. While previous self-help management techniques were about self-improvement, the personal-branding concept suggests that success comes from self-packaging.
Marketers McNally and Speak define the personal brand in this way: “Your brand is a perception or emotion, maintained by somebody other than you, that describes the total experience of having a relationship with you.”
Personal branding often involves the association of an individual’s name to a variety of products or content. In the context of the Project Management for Today Community, we are focused on a variety of ways for our Contributing Authors to develop their personal brands through the sharing of knowledge and skills via Articles, Webinars, Live Hosted Events, and more.
There are many ways to develop your personal brand. We encourage you to use any and all of them. The creation and development of your unique personal brand will be different for every member of our Community, and we highly encourage you to share ideas, successes and failures with the rest of the members of the Community. Through this sharing of knowledge, we all improve and develop stronger personal brands.
Why should I develop a Personal Brand?
There are many reasons to develop a Personal Brand. Some of the reasons that usually rise to the top of the list are as follows:
- Looking for a new or better job, or looking to receive a promotion at your current job
- Consider the increased potential of a hiring manager if they are able to learn more about your personal skills, knowledge, and abilities by getting to know you better through your Personal Brand. If you have taken the time to build a repository of Articles, Videos of Webinars and Speaking Engagements, how will that raise your potential for being hired or promoted if they already know what you are capable of through these sources?
- Increased Networking Opportunities
- Everyone understands the phrase “It’s not always WHAT you know, it’s WHO you know”. Through the development of your Personal Brand, you increase the opportunities available to you for engagement with other leaders in your fields of interest. Through this engagement your networks increase, and your knowledge is also shared, as well as increased.
- Industry Recognition
- As your Personal Brand grows, opportunities for other areas of engagement increase. You may be invited to speak at a local or national level. You could be asked to have your articles republished in other forums. The greater your reach becomes, the greater the opportunities also become.
One key ideal to building a successful Personal Brand, is to make sure that in all that you do, and in all your efforts, find and share your “Authentic Self”. Your Personal Brand should reflect who you really are. While this is a simple concept, I believe it is a core element to the success of any Personal Brand. It is much easier to share your real self, than to constantly have to remember and remake yourself for a specific situation.
Here at Project Management for Today, we are all learning and developing our Personal Brands as well. We welcome your shared knowledge, experience, success and failures. We all grow and improve through the shared knowledge and experiences of others. We encourage you to consider joining our community and let us be a part of your Personal Brand.
Learn more about the Benefits of the Contributing Authors Program and start building your Personal Brand